Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What Would You Do If You Suddenly Became a Widow?

That was a question that a friend of mine asked me years ago, when I was barely three years into my marriage.

If you are a stay-at-home mum like I am, then you probably know what I'm talking about. 

Even though my husband and I had agreed to this stay-at-home idea, at least until the kids are grown up and even though I know it has had a very positive impact on them which is why I agreed to it in the first place, still I secretly worried.

What if, God forbid, something were to happen to my husband today? Where would I start from? I didn't have a job or a business. How would I take care of the kids, pay their school fees and do the numerous other things that is required of a parent?


I know that a lot of us don't like to think of such a thing but it is the reality. It has happened to other people, some that we might even know of, and so what makes us think it can never happen to us?

I knew that it was only right for me to get something doing that could fetch me some income. At the same time I shouldn't involve in anything that would take so much of my time because of the kids.

Going out to look for work was therefore out of it.

Eventually, I decided to venture into the internet business for three reasons:

One, I have always loved anything to do with computers and the internet. Even though I didn't start with too much know-how, my doggedness and preserverance paid off in the end.

Two, I have a passion for family and children. I believe strongly that these are the two most important aspects of any human life no matter what destiny. Get the family and children right, and you automatically have a great nation. 

Three, I believed that a website or blog could combine these two passions into a means of income for me on the net and I was right. I eventually chose to use a blog because it enables me to air my views and think aloud on matters that are important to me. Luckily for me, many of my thoughts and views are also matters of great interest to my readers.

My advice to a stay-at-home mom is this: Look for something you can do on your own to earn money without encroaching too much on the time for your children. But whatever you do, try to make it something that you enjoy, or else you will soon get bored with it and give up as soon as a little challenge comes up.

Oh, and never regret your decision to be a stay-at-home mom. I have testimonies of stay-at-home moms who made this decision without knowing whether they had done the right thing or not. Today they have cause to thank God for how their lives and that of their children who they had sacrificed for  eventually turned out. That is a story for another day.

For now, take care.
Fati

No comments:

Post a Comment